The past few years have been full of adventure. The pursuit of whitewater paddling has risen to become the foremost focus in my life. I've shaped my lifestyle, both personal and professional, into a mold that allows me to more fully immerse myself in the navigation of swiftly moving, and falling water. There is a closeness, a tremendous bond that forms among people who share any passion, or who triumph jointly over great challenges. Often adventure is met at the point where great passion and challenge come together. It can be both enlightening and terrifying, exulting and tragic. Whitewater is the medium on which I choose to focus my passion. It is the challenge for the body, mind and soul that elevates focus and blots out all distractions. And it is over this incredible dynamic medium that I have been able experience and explore some of the most incredible places on earth and share time with some of my closest friends. I hope this blog will serve its purpose of sharing the passion for adventure and whitewater equally with both those who may already be familiar with its draw and those to whom it is foreign. I'd like to nurture that closeness, and strengthen that bond that has been created as a result of these pursuits while also shedding light toward the reason behind my addiction to whitewater for my non paddling friends and family. Through photos and stories this blog is my shot at defining adventure.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Panama Whitewater Kayaking Report

Here's some video of Panama whitewater paddling from 2003-2006. The runs in Panama are spectacular, and so few people have ever gotten to paddle them. Much of the footage here on this video is from the Upper section of the Rio Los Valles and from the Upper section of The Rio Chiriqui, parallel drainages in the Chiriqui province. With the first descent of the Upper Los Vallesin in 2003 its seen less than 10 runs by three groups down it since. To my knowledge I've run along with each group that has attempted this river, which blows my mind because it is just so good. There is a hike in, and a hike out, and two big portages, its far from an easy run, dropping over a thousand feet in just over 2 miles, but this run is world class! Enjoy the video.

2 comments:

  1. This blog rawks. This video rawks. The fist pump at 6:52 rawks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drew,
    Looks epic! Is there good class IV there also?
    Two big portages, in two miles? Are those numbers right?
    Cheers-
    Bill

    ReplyDelete