The past few years have been full of adventure. The pursuit of whitewater paddling has risen to become the foremost focus in my life. I've shaped my lifestyle, both personal and professional, into a mold that allows me to more fully immerse myself in the navigation of swiftly moving, and falling water. There is a closeness, a tremendous bond that forms among people who share any passion, or who triumph jointly over great challenges. Often adventure is met at the point where great passion and challenge come together. It can be both enlightening and terrifying, exulting and tragic. Whitewater is the medium on which I choose to focus my passion. It is the challenge for the body, mind and soul that elevates focus and blots out all distractions. And it is over this incredible dynamic medium that I have been able experience and explore some of the most incredible places on earth and share time with some of my closest friends. I hope this blog will serve its purpose of sharing the passion for adventure and whitewater equally with both those who may already be familiar with its draw and those to whom it is foreign. I'd like to nurture that closeness, and strengthen that bond that has been created as a result of these pursuits while also shedding light toward the reason behind my addiction to whitewater for my non paddling friends and family. Through photos and stories this blog is my shot at defining adventure.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Little White Salmon


The Legend of the Little White Salmon river is spread far by paddlers and is largely responsible for drawing me away from the Blue Ridge Mountains, a whitewater paradise in and of itself. Its reputation for fast and steep emerald green water fed by deep cold aquifers year round had me hooked, and after a couple of years of drought induced dreaming I finally worked up the courage to leave the friends and rivers i love dearly behind in North Carolina and see if it really was all that great. Now at the end of my second season here in the North-west's Columbia River Gorge, I think the 'LW' might be the best, funnest steep creek in the world. But beyond its great rapids, what I've really come to appreciate about this river, and whitewater paddling in general is how other people are drawn to it, same as i was, in search of some greater fulfillment. Here's a few pictures of the Little White Salmon as best enjoyed, with some really good friends.
Photo: Curt Joyce
This is me, launching off boulder sluice rapid, the last drop in a half mile long boulder garden called gettin busy that starts off the run.

Photo: Drew Austell
Curt Joyce with classic form, late boof at Sacriledge

Photo: Drew Austell
Curt Joyce on the middle line of Wishbone falls, the beautiful 20 foot waterfall we get to run whenever we want to.

Photo: Drew Austell
Dave Martin and Ryan Copenhagan paddling together through Stove Pipe Gorge.

Finding nothing but air at Stove Pipe Falls Curt Joyce Photos

Photo: Dave Martin
Ahh, the gratuitous Spirit Fall picture. One of the prettiest places on earth.

Photo: Dave Martin
Curt Joyce and I regrouping and enjoying the Spirit amidst the froth and spray below the falls. I only run this waterfall when the moment seems right and there's a good buddy ready to go with me.
Add Image

No comments:

Post a Comment