The past few years have been full of adventure. The pursuit of whitewater paddling has risen to become the foremost focus in my life. I've shaped my lifestyle, both personal and professional, into a mold that allows me to more fully immerse myself in the navigation of swiftly moving, and falling water. There is a closeness, a tremendous bond that forms among people who share any passion, or who triumph jointly over great challenges. Often adventure is met at the point where great passion and challenge come together. It can be both enlightening and terrifying, exulting and tragic. Whitewater is the medium on which I choose to focus my passion. It is the challenge for the body, mind and soul that elevates focus and blots out all distractions. And it is over this incredible dynamic medium that I have been able experience and explore some of the most incredible places on earth and share time with some of my closest friends. I hope this blog will serve its purpose of sharing the passion for adventure and whitewater equally with both those who may already be familiar with its draw and those to whom it is foreign. I'd like to nurture that closeness, and strengthen that bond that has been created as a result of these pursuits while also shedding light toward the reason behind my addiction to whitewater for my non paddling friends and family. Through photos and stories this blog is my shot at defining adventure.

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Eddy Flower Update and California Bound...

These last weeks we have been going full tilt, running rivers day in and day out, our team, THE Off the Cowch Team, is the heavy leaded in both vertical feet paddled and Donations pledged. This is huge. never before has such a contender for the vertical title also been a lead contender for most donations received for First Descents. I personally am blown away at the contributions that have been made on my behalf and they all have inspired me to continue paddling as long and hard as i can. A week ago I was having a conversation with a friend, and in trying to explain the significance of this competition i came to the realization that over the course of my development as a paddler I have really only paddle for my own personal rewards and objectives. Now for the first time ever, my paddling has given rise to an excitement that is benefiting a broader purpose. It's an incredible feeling. Every donation i see arrive in my name, inspires me to paddle another river, do an extra lap, and not for myself any more but for everyone who is watching, contributing, and for the benefit of the First Descents camps. In any case, my goal for the remainder of the competition is lofty. I want to finish with 40000 ft of descent and $4000 in donations. With 10 days to go, the work has been cut out for me. I'll do my best, and if any one out there has the means, First Descents is truly an awesome program. Again, here's a great video about what they do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPnRYc5p1e0&eurl=http://www.firstdescents.org/cms/. You can check the real time standings of the competition or donate by going here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPnRYc5p1e0&eurl=http://www.firstdescents.org/cms . Thank you to everyone for your support.

THE Off the Cowch Team members Drew Austell, Jeff Clewell and Curt Joyce along with Susan Hollingsworth from Femme 45 starting a lap on the Miracle Mile of the Willamette River. Photo by Melissa Wilder
Susan Hollingsworth, Drew Austell and Jeff Clewell on the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the Willamette in Central Oregon

And now, I am headed to California...

No comments:

Post a Comment